Monday, December 24, 2012

A Race a Surgery and a Recovery

OK its been awhile since I last posted but hey I have been busy!  So this post will try to bring everyone up to speed if any is following me!  On November 18th I ran my last race of the year.  It was the Spartan Sprint in Fenway.  What a great race for a number of reasons! My son ran the one mile kid obstacle race and went off with the elite kid group which I still have no idea how he managed to do.  He did a great job and finished very quick but more importantly had FUN!  Then there was my race.  This was the first race that I ran as part of a team.  I highly recommend it to anyone!  It is a totally unique and different experience then running a Spartan race solo.  I also found it much more rewarding.
I had been training hard for this race pushing the mileage and getting up to 15 miles or so.  Why would I do this for a 3 mile race.  Well you can never over train for a Spartan and I also new that a little over a week later I was having surgery and would be sidelined for 3-4 weeks.  I wanted to build the best base I could to speed recovery from surgery and also hopefully jump start my training once I was cleared to resume.  SO why did I need surgery?  In July while training for the another Spartan I developed a fairly large incisional hernia.  Nothing painful but very annoying and disgusting.  I also knew long term it was only going to get worse.  I schedule surgery to coincide with what I thought my down period was going to be or could be as I did not know I was going to be accepted for the DFMC, hell at the time I schedule the thing I never even thought I would run a marathon.  Well luckily surgery went well and I am not a little over 3 weeks post-op and feel fantastic.  Well as fantastic as once can feel after surgery.  I have not run since surgery but my body is craving the feeling and I know I will be running this week again.  Until then happy running and I hope everyone has a fantastic holiday season!


No comments:

Post a Comment